Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

What do you need to get this year

naedoot

Re: What do you need to get this year

Post by naedoot on Fri 27 Jan 2012, 7:33 pm

one other thing to add to my list - a dry day without frost and my wife and I to be at home together during daylight so we can get the dandy up
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Fri 27 Jan 2012, 7:39 pm

That's on our wish list too Tom lol!

We really want to get it ready and put some stuff back inside Sad
naedoot

Post by naedoot on Fri 27 Jan 2012, 7:42 pm

Helen - tell me about it, havent had it up yet since we got her home, thanks to dark nights, howling gales, heavy frost, rain , never being togther during daylight.

might see how tomorrow foes and enlist the help of my kids.

vessey44

Post by vessey44 on Sat 28 Jan 2012, 12:23 am

A Dandy (Anything would do for number 1) Very Happy

larger solar panel & higher output leisure battery to run my coolbox (The camper fridge didnt like woodall's electric supply & kept tripping it)
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Sat 28 Jan 2012, 4:23 am

New cream cushion covers, curtains etc. There's far too much dark blue going on in there. I think also a stabiliser. Are the cheap ones any good, or false economy?
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sat 28 Jan 2012, 6:02 am

Krist0n the cheap ones are the design that's been around for years,the more expensive type gained popularity because manufactures started fitting them as standard on new caravans,they are slightly less bother to fit and i do meen slightly every time you tow,i have never used the new type and would not put any one off buying one i saw a caravan on the m62 using one it had been loaded totally wrong and was well down at the nose and at 60mph was constantly trying to swerve out of line but the stabiliser wouldn't allow it too,that's not what there for though.
The main possible down side to the new type is normally you have to fit a new tow ball which comes with the kit this gives more clearance between it and the car,the new tow ball is standard size so you could tow other trailers if you wanted but it must be kept grease and rust free as the unit works by pads gripping the tow ball so obviously you cant hitch a greased trailer coupling to it.
You would probaly be ok with the smaller one which goes upto 1300kg and is under £200
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 28 Jan 2012, 8:38 am

vessey44 wrote:A Dandy (Anything would do for number 1) Very Happy

larger solar panel & higher output leisure battery to run my coolbox (The camper fridge didnt like woodall's electric supply & kept tripping it)

I know this is probably going off topic as it's turning a wish list into a tech type question and answer but here goes.

Cold boxes take a fair old amount of electricity. Off the top of my head about 60watt or 5amp. So are you shopping for a truly humongous solar panel 200w + or are you looking at a smaller one but accepting that you discharge a leisure batter over the course of a weekend?
I'm looking at 200w + as they only tend to give about 1/2 the rated output (thats what I was told?) over the hours of daylight and the coldbox is a 24hr demand.
I got a three way fridge freezer the only problem being if it was any larger it would require it's own trailer.
vessey44

Post by vessey44 on Sat 28 Jan 2012, 8:46 am

The solar panel is only to keep the leisure battery & main battery on the van conditioned so i can trust it'll start

I may also invest in one of these

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

vickoir
Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir on Sat 28 Jan 2012, 10:48 am

vessey44 wrote:The solar panel is only to keep the leisure battery & main battery on the van conditioned so i can trust it'll start

I may also invest in one of these

oh thats a bit bonkers matt
i want one too Smile
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 29 Jan 2012, 1:50 pm

Been to go outdoors and got a pulling handle, very easy to fit but the price is now £9 but we think it's worth it.
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Sun 29 Jan 2012, 2:11 pm

mike wrote:Krist0n the cheap ones are the design that's been around for years,the more expensive type gained popularity because manufactures started fitting them as standard on new caravans,they are slightly less bother to fit and i do meen slightly every time you tow,i have never used the new type and would not put any one off buying one i saw a caravan on the m62 using one it had been loaded totally wrong and was well down at the nose and at 60mph was constantly trying to swerve out of line but the stabiliser wouldn't allow it too,that's not what there for though.
The main possible down side to the new type is normally you have to fit a new tow ball which comes with the kit this gives more clearance between it and the car,the new tow ball is standard size so you could tow other trailers if you wanted but it must be kept grease and rust free as the unit works by pads gripping the tow ball so obviously you cant hitch a greased trailer coupling to it.
You would probaly be ok with the smaller one which goes upto 1300kg and is under £200

HOWWWWWWW MUCCCHHHHH?? LOL.

I'm sure i've seen them much cheaper on ebay. such as this one?????? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 29 Jan 2012, 2:18 pm

Krist0n wrote:
mike wrote:Krist0n the cheap ones are the design that's been around for years,the more expensive type gained popularity because manufactures started fitting them as standard on new caravans,they are slightly less bother to fit and i do meen slightly every time you tow,i have never used the new type and would not put any one off buying one i saw a caravan on the m62 using one it had been loaded totally wrong and was well down at the nose and at 60mph was constantly trying to swerve out of line but the stabiliser wouldn't allow it too,that's not what there for though.

HOWWWWWWW MUCCCHHHHH?? LOL.

I'm sure i've seen them much cheaper on ebay. such as this one?????? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thats the original type think they are about £10 more in the shops,the £200 pound job can be bought for less but its a totally different thing there both on this page [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 29 Jan 2012, 2:29 pm

I think Mike was referring to the price of the Al=Ko units.

mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 29 Jan 2012, 2:37 pm

Cheaper still here

mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 29 Jan 2012, 2:38 pm

Even the small alko one is cheaper

Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Tue 31 Jan 2012, 5:22 am

Baffled!!

I have a bosal swan neck >>> [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Will the cheap £50 one do me? Any idea?

mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:15 am

According to towsure there are two variants with the cheaper version one for swan necks and one for bolt on but thats as far as my knowledge goes,i dont know if there is any thing different about your swan neck version.

mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 12 Feb 2012, 8:11 am

Just remembered we need two new camping chairs ours are very tatty but very comfortable,need to find some of the same design we dont like the normal lounger type,we have had ours for about 5 years £10 each from asda

Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Tue 14 Feb 2012, 8:34 pm

I need to either get my propane bottle swapped for butane,or the butane swapped for a propane.
I need to get a new rubber tube for the cooker too. Just found this one is so corroded.
Need to get an awning, but need to sell my pool table to pay for that Sad Needs must though!
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 14 Feb 2012, 9:00 pm

KirstOn

If travelling through Warrington the Calor centre there is cheaper than many unless you are close to the home depot of Cheshire Bottled Gas (who seem to have dropped bottled from there name)who can often be cheaper than all, but don't run out away from home. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I'd go for propane and suggest a quick release for the pipe as well.
As far as awnings go there may be an offer appearing on lightweight awnings within a day or two.
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Tue 14 Feb 2012, 9:39 pm

I didn't know about the quick release for the gas. Will look into that.
What do you mean about the awning offers?
Do you think this one would fit?>>> [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 12:40 pm