Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Our Dandy - the early days

naedoot

Re: Our Dandy - the early days

Post by naedoot on Tue 31 Jan 2012, 6:46 pm

will have to add the benny hill chase music to the vid or some sound bites from the carry on movies

naedoot

Post by naedoot on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:21 pm

got a source for 6mm camo bungee cord on ebay so need approx 10m to replace the old rope thats on the cover.

Going to replace the all the roof cords with new rope also - so will have to measure that and look for suitable replacement.

weekend should see the dandy up again so will get in and measure the bed sections then get my silver foil bubble wrap insulation cut from work.

Had a quick look at the covers on the seats and looks like they dont have zipz etc to remove so looks like its unpicking the stictching to get em washed Sad

managed to source some ply wood that will potentially end up in the front box - if i cant fix the cage.
guy at work is giving me a loan of a rivet gun so im happy with that.

managed to find what I think is the chassis numbers stamped into the frame - going to give em a clean and see if I can make them out - maybe a wee touch of the old brass rubbing idea to get them onto paper to see them.
Need to find wire brush to run over the aframe failing that drill and wire brush attachment then its hammerite time.

naedoot

Post by naedoot on Mon 13 Feb 2012, 8:35 am

Yesterday , decided to look for the chassis number - had a look - still cant see it.

nevermind - took a little nitromors to the a frame to test it and so far so good, will get stuck in about the rest of it over the next few days then get it covered with paint.

realised the other day that when taking out the bed supports one side has no stopper so managed to pull whole thing out of trailer base will sort something out on that front.

must remember to collect the wood from work to potentially assist in the front box storage fix.

My wife is off nights this am and is on holiday until Sat so will get the dandy up tonight and we can get inside cleaned etc.

Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Mon 13 Feb 2012, 8:40 am

The orange Dandy needs some stoppers on the end of the legs, will you let us know how you sort yours out Tom to stop it pulling out altogether.

Last edited by Helen on Mon 13 Feb 2012, 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : A moment of confusion ............. nothing new there then.)
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Mon 13 Feb 2012, 10:23 am

No stoppers on our six but when we set it up we made a hacksaw mark at the point to stop has worked well up to now
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Tue 14 Feb 2012, 7:37 pm

On Phoenix to stop the bed legs pulling right out she has got the gutter type bolts. The ones with dome heads and cross slots in them, they have the square nuts. You put a nut straight onto the bolt then put it through a hole at the end of the support arm and tighten with another nut inside. It is a bit fiddly to do. Then the first nut is the stop against the support bracket. They were on her when I got her over 20 years ago so I assume were standard.

Basically the old Dandys were held together with gutter bolts and rivets. Smile Well ours seems to have been.

Here is a couple of pictures to help you see what I mean.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 14 Feb 2012, 7:44 pm

Thanks for posting your pictures, it's so much easier when you can see how it's has been done
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Tue 14 Feb 2012, 8:08 pm

No problem Helen. As they say "a picture paints a thousand words". Smile
naedoot

Post by naedoot on Wed 15 Feb 2012, 8:00 am

great pics - shows exactly what I was intending to do
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 15 Feb 2012, 12:14 pm

The newer Dandys seem to use a self tapping screw with the head the size of a 5p piece.
One of mine had fallen out so while fitting brackets for bed legs to slot into (Having failed miserably to form brackets and watched Phoenix bend them up with just a pair of plumbers grips {Deep Shame}) I took a nut from a roofing bolt (thanks Mike) and riveted it into place.

naedoot

Post by naedoot on Fri 17 Feb 2012, 7:07 am

well we put her up last night , what a laugh

trying to get bits of string the right length for puling the metal roof supports up.

left her up over night, so we can get in and start the clean.

mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Fri 17 Feb 2012, 7:20 am

naedoot wrote:well we put her up last night , what a laugh

trying to get bits of string the right length for puling the metal roof supports up.

left her up over night, so we can get in and start the clean.

It gets easier Very Happy once the strings are sorted
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Fri 17 Feb 2012, 7:31 am

The strings may not look like a big deal but they really are a big help Very Happy
naedoot

Post by naedoot on Fri 17 Feb 2012, 8:07 pm

had to attach some paracord to the roof ropes as they are short

it has decided to get really windy up hear and am awaiting the large crash as the dandy takes off into the neighbours garden

naedoot

Post by naedoot on Sat 18 Feb 2012, 8:11 am

got up this morning and after the wind last night ( outside Smile )

found that the dandy was still upright, and in our drive way

woohoo

so going to go out and try and unstick the sliding doors on the kitchen unit - might have something do do with the paint that was put on them (not by me).

naedoot

Post by naedoot on Mon 27 Feb 2012, 7:59 am

well not had much success getting stuck into the dandy this week or so due to work , weather etc.

had good intentions this weekend but damn man flu got me.

need to get finger out and get on with it.

hopefully a better update next time round.
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Mon 27 Feb 2012, 8:01 am

naedoot wrote:well not had much success getting stuck into the dandy this week or so due to work , weather etc.

had good intentions this weekend but damn man flu got me.

need to get finger out and get on with it.

hopefully a better update next time round.

I have it as well but i think its called women flu Very Happy
naedoot

Post by naedoot on Sat 03 Mar 2012, 8:00 am

well the manflu is better almost back to normal ( some may say thats impossible as I have never been that normal anyway) Smile

my Wife is working this weekend so its me n the trolls - they are still in their pits so Im going to chuck on some clothes head outside and measure the insulation I brought home from work.

Need to figure out how im going to stick it down yet thinking a few staples into the bed wood.

I got the single sided silver bubble wrap so im thinking bubble side down onto wood silver side up.
I had rough measure / guesstimate as to how much i would need so should have extra left over, might even stick some on the inner bed end wall and cover it with some sort of fabric to make it a tad different from the normal wood

might even stick a coat of hammerite on the aframe today as at least it will be kept dry with the dandy being up.

naedoot

Post by naedoot on Sat 03 Mar 2012, 4:53 pm

well made it outside

started to lay the insulation.
nearly got one side done.
will get pics later on
Kimmie

Post by Kimmie on Sun 04 Mar 2012, 6:48 pm

It's addictive watching other people's efforts!!! Laughing
naedoot

Post by naedoot on Wed 25 Apr 2012, 6:46 pm

well its been a while and not getting anywhere fast.

have not had the chance or the weather to get it up again to get some bits done Sad

hoping this weekend is going to be nice as I need to get the aframe painted and get the front box sorted.
looking on ebay for new bungee cord for replacing the ones on the unit plus thinking of replacing the old rope on the cover with cord.
looking at 6mm in cammo Smile

now need to find replacement rope for the roof sides that go through the roof section - what size is best for this?
also need to get some for the roof sides also so going to use the same I think.

getting my number plate made up tomorrow and hopefully get one of the guys from work to have a look over my elec hook up as the breaker box is under the cooker unit next to the gas tap.

couldnt get the heater to fire up ( think i might be doing it wrong) but im not too worried about that as i am going to get a halogen heater for now.
naedoot

Post by naedoot on Fri 04 May 2012, 6:46 am

Well fitted new bungee cord on my cover

nice camo effect looks better than the tired old white n blue.

have loads left so going to redo all the other bungee loops on the Dandy if it stays dry this weekend.
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Fri 04 May 2012, 2:48 pm

We dont normally bother with the roof strings to hold the roof edge down but one of the plans this weekend was to fit a guy to the center on each side with a short length of bungee to go on the button,the idea is this will be located before we erect or dismantle to keep the roof from slipping in,i say was the plan because now i think we are working Monday.
naedoot

Post by naedoot on Fri 04 May 2012, 5:44 pm

Mike - now that sounds like a plan

might have to give that a go

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 5:50 pm