Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Gas Struts On Beds

Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Re: Gas Struts On Beds

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 12 Jan 2014, 5:52 pm

Just been onto the Riva site and seen that Ian is carrying lots of new items. Amongst these I can see gas struts for either £65.00 or £55.00.
The thing is I was looking at about £80 something for a set when I was thinking of sorting some and £55 or even £65 would be a terrific bargain. Thing is I can see that price being per strut and £220 to £260 isn't the worlds biggest bargain.
Anyone more hard faced than me who wants to phone up and ask?
If you do. Everything I've ever seen on struts said to mount with the extending strut lowest so the seals stay lubricated. Ian has always done the struts the opposite way up. I did get to wonder if he did this to stop the rod ends being exposed and possibly rusting.

navver

Post by navver on Sun 12 Jan 2014, 6:09 pm

Our struts are fitted the right way up (whatever that is).

The thin bit is on the bottom with the cylinder at the top. It is a 2005 model and judging by all the other extras would guess they were original fitment.

navver

Post by navver on Sun 12 Jan 2014, 7:12 pm

The Riva site picture of a gas strut shows them the right way up too.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 12 Jan 2014, 8:50 pm

navver wrote:Our struts are fitted the right way up (whatever that is).

The thin bit is on the bottom with the cylinder at the top. It is a 2005 model and judging by all the other extras would guess they were original fitment.

The Riva site picture of a gas strut shows them the right way up too.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Unfortunately navver I would guess that even before age ruined my close up vision and most certainly now, I can deduce slightly less than bugger all from the illustration shown.

However I will happily take your testimony that Ian is now fitting the struts this way up. In times past that was not the way though and it has been a long running thread upon here that instructions always state to fit the opposite way to that done by Ian. For evidence I present pictures from page 5 of this thread of Vicky and Nicks Dark Blue Designer(?):

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Young navver not only is it my eyes failing me but also my memory. Read further down page 5 and you will see that I have used a larger version of your illustration and pondered on Ian reversing the mounting of the struts!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 23 Sep 2017, 1:20 am