Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Do You Freecycle?

Krist0n
Krist0n

Do You Freecycle? Empty Do You Freecycle?

Post by Krist0n on Sun 29 Jan 2012, 6:50 am

I've been a member of Freecycle for about 2 years now, and have managed to get hold of, and get rid of all sorts. If you want to get rid of an old wardrobe, or a pool table, or even a pile of used bathroom tiles, this is the place to advertise them. If your wanting for instance a rivet gun Neutral , or a heater, then you can put a "wanted" post up. It is so useful, and it's FREE. Everything on there is free. Just collect the item you have requested or have been offered. There is a lot of rubbish on there too, but the benefits outweigh that. You will also be keeping the stuff out of the landfill, which is the main factor.

Up to now, off memory, we have managed to give away (and save lots of trips to the tip, and save lots of landfill) a pool table, 2 bathrooms worth of used tiles, heaps and heaps of clothes, a broken fridge, lots of small and medium sized electrical items that weren't worth selling on ebay, and much much more.

We have received (some offered, some asked for) baby gates, book cases, shelves, childs bed (almost brand new too), highchair, baby bike seat, car seat, and much more.

So do yourself, and everyone else in your area a favour, and join your local Freecycle.

One thing I do suggest, is when asked, make sure you create a new yahoo email address to receive the ads, as you may get between 1 and 30 emails a day.
Oh, and heres the link>>>> [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Do You Freecycle? Empty Re: Do You Freecycle?

Post by mike on Sun 29 Jan 2012, 6:58 am

Did join a few years ago and fortunately did just what you said and create a new yahool mail acc,in this area though it was mainly people wanting things so i gave up,but may give it another look,one guy even wanted a 40 inch lcd tv affraid
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 29 Jan 2012, 9:00 am

We give any stuff we no longer want to our local charity shops, my son and his better half both work for the Oldham RSPCA who have no funding whatsoever, the local hospice shops are also very grateful. Only problem is that they don't take stuff like tents as they have no room to open them up to check before selling and everything electrical has to be tested and working too. I have a garage full of stuff and also an upstairs room and would willingly give to anyone who wanted to use it themselves. A friend passed away and left the entire contents of her home to me, the majority of the larger household items were given to people who we knew would appreciate and use them. I did hear though from another old friend that he used freecycle and had some rather good stuff to give away, received a very nice email from a lady with a sob story only to find his stuff on a car boot two weeks later.

I will join though as we still have so much stuff we have no room for and give the stuff that the charity shops can't take, the Dandy is under the carport instead of tucked up inside the garage where it normally lives.
naedoot
naedoot

Post by naedoot on Sun 29 Jan 2012, 10:02 am

I joined it a while back and usually only get random emails.

have managed to get rid of one thing on it, never managed to get anything as by the time I get an email its usually all gone
Krist0n
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Sun 29 Jan 2012, 3:06 pm

Theere are people out there that car boot the stuff, but the way I lokk at it, is it's still getting recycled. Somebody is benefitting from the sale, and the buyer gets a cheap bargain. I don't however agree with the sob stories, then to find they are carbooters. And you also get a few thankless people, but overall I have had good experience with freecycle.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 29 Jan 2012, 3:15 pm

Been involved before with a discussion about this and it looks like it varies area to area,but as Krist0n said so long as you dont want it does it matter so long as it gets reused.
I live on a busy road and have resorted to putting stuff near my front gate with a notice on free take it away it soon goes.
Cazz
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Sun 29 Jan 2012, 3:34 pm

My mum uses free cycle, I think it's a good idea, there is so much stuff just thrown away because people no longer want or need it. We also put unwanted stuff, admittedly not very often or much, out on the front, someone in the area always has a use for it.

In fact last week we acquired a child gate that someone had put out for the scrap man, it's perfect for a dog gate. Do You Freecycle? 3498837457
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 29 Jan 2012, 3:57 pm

We once left some stuff at the front for people to take, bathroom cabinet, and other stuff too good to chuck away, within half an hour of putting it out the bathroom cabinet had gone but along came a community police officer and told us to shift it or we could be done for fly tipping. We did explain that we would move it if no one took it in a couple of hours but he wasn't having any of it Mad
Cazz
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Sun 29 Jan 2012, 4:05 pm

Helen wrote:We once left some stuff at the front for people to take, bathroom cabinet, and other stuff too good to chuck away, within half an hour of putting it out the bathroom cabinet had gone but along came a community police officer and told us to shift it or we could be done for fly tipping. We did explain that we would move it if no one took it in a couple of hours but he wasn't having any of it Mad

That's shocking, I can see what he was saying, but at least give you a few hours.
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 29 Jan 2012, 4:09 pm

I think he was on a power trip, I suppose we could have moved it to just inside the drive gates but we were annoyed plus people may not have realised it was there for them to take....... like the idea of putting a sign on it.
Krist0n
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Sun 29 Jan 2012, 8:44 pm

defo on a power trip. Bloody coppers. Never there when you really need em though!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 17 Jun 2019, 10:28 am