Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

European Campsite Finder Archies Campings

Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

European Campsite Finder Archies Campings

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 11 Feb 2012, 10:54 pm

If in doubt then [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and it's directory seem to be the default method of locating campsites. However while searching Ireland I became of the opinion that I've camped in more places than they list.
At that point I became aware of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Still a bit sparse on Ireland but far more encyclopaedic for Europe.
You need to load Google Earth first before Archies will work.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Re: European Campsite Finder Archies Campings

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 12 Feb 2012, 5:37 pm

I was hoping one of you technical types might have reviewed this. It looks a bit messy as it appears you can only view in satellite mode. Boxes can be ticked to provide roads and some other features but even though you can go into Google maps when you transfer back to Google Earth the satellite doesn't open in the same position as the map.
There are icons to link to a myriad of associated photographs and some You Tube videos though so you get an idea of attractions in the area your going to. If I use my beloved Dent as an example a whole host of pictures of the main street crop up. If I flip through them I could highlight a photographer that I like to see there other work or I can highlight one of their photos. If I highlight one of the photos of Dent main street by Am Bodach I then find a lovely selection of the hills of the hills of North Yorkshire and Cumbria. Conversely I can look at all the icons to see attractions I never knew existed.
I was going to suggest moving this to the review area, I'm not so certain now as I see it can also be used as a tool to appreciate the area your thinking of visiting. A free picture guide book? Though that function would exist just by using Google earth.
Though I delete any records in Google Earth each time I re load Archies camping for the UK it logs the download as a sequential number. Is this the way I should be using this?

Current date/time is Wed 17 Jan 2018, 9:21 am